Stop the Changes campaign have been contacted by a number of people who have had their hours support reduced because the AtW adviser says they have underspent (not spent all) their budget. Sometimes this seems to be a mistake by the AtW adviser. Sometimes it might be right, but there are obvious reasons why it shouldn't mean your budget is reduced, e.g. sickness.
So, if the AtW adviser tells you that you have underspent your budget:
1) Check is this right. Work out the figures yourself. Tell the adviser and send them your figures if you think they are wrong.
2) Ask the adviser for the numbers they have used, and for the calculation where they worked out you are underspent.
3) If the AtW adviser won't send you these, you can make a Subject Access Request, which means they have to send you the information on your file about you. You can see how to do that here.
4) If you have underspent your budget, but there are good reasons for this, that means it is wrong to reduce your budget, explain that to the Adviser.
E.g. if you used less because you had time off ill, or for recent holidays, or because you were on training and they provided the interpreter, then explain that this doesn't mean that you need less hours each month.
5) If the AtW adviser won't agree with you, you can make a formal reconsideration request to AtW.
6) If the reconsideration request doesn't help, or you have other problems with this, please contact DeafATW.
Click here to download AtW Guidance on being employed and self-employed